Saturday, September 13, 2008


FINISHED:

DuPrau, Jeanne. (2008). The diamond of Darkhold. New York: Random House.


[Had unrealistically high expectations for this one, and, as such, it didn't quite blow me off my feet. Lina and Doon are back, heading to the City of Ember in an effort to find left behind supplies as those in Sparks are dwindling. Once there they discover that a family of roamers has moved in and is ransacking the city and making sure that no one stands in their way. Doon is captured by them and finds out that the family is in possession of a strange and enormous diamond built into a cylinder that they said they found in a room off the entrance/exit in the mountain to the city. I liked that the diamond(s) will play a large role in the rebuilding of the human race, but it took a long time to get there. Not a whole lot happens, and the last couple of pages which serve to tell what happens next for everyone (this is the final book in the series) contain a specific element - the one that clears up the mystery behind a mobile light in the sky that a number of people notice - that TROUBLED me (think: Indiana Jones IV...), but I still respect DuPrau a WHOLE BUNCH and hope that this wonderful series stands the test of time. I know that I will suggest them as much as possible to as many young people as I can. Certainly, the upcoming City of Ember film will likely draw more interest to these books. GOOD!]

STARTED:
Piemme, Edizioni. (2008). Ulysses Moore: The isle of masks. New York: Scholastic.

[The fourth in this series. I, for some reason, can't stop reading these...]

*

No comments: