Monday, October 13, 2008


FINISHED:

Pfeffer, Susan Beth. (2006). Life as we knew it. Orlando, FL: Harcourt.


[I had been told by a couple of people that this one is better than The Dead and the Gone, but I think the opposite - maybe it depends on which one you read first, eh? Don't get me wrong, I was still compelled by Miranda and her family's story, but I thought that Alex's tale was tighter and moved along better. I mean, not a whole lot really happens in this one when you really think about it. It all pretty much takes place in Miranda's family's house - thinking about food, mom and brothers get sick, electricity comes on and goes off, they need to wash their clothes by hand in melted snow, they've got cross-country skis, Miranda goes ice skating, there's an older neighbor and Miranda has a friend who has gone off the deep end into crazy religiousness. I just thought there was a sense of more at stake in Alex's life. Supposedly, there's a third book coming and I am looking forward to it.]


STARTED & FINISHED:

Kibuishi, Kazu [Ed.]. (2008). Flight: Explorer, Volume 1. New York: Villard.


[Just a quick little graphic novel filled with a bunch of short stories by a number of different authors/illustrators.]

STARTED:
Augarde, Steve. (2004). The various. Oxford, England; New York: David Fickling/Random House.

[Been on my list for awhile - heard such good things about it and the sequel. It was name-checked in one of the Penderwick books and it renewed my interest.]

*

No comments: