Sunday, January 25, 2009


FINISHED:

Horvath, Polly. (2008). My one hundred adventures. New York: Schwartz & Wade/Random House.


[I REALLY enjoyed this one. Kinda random - it's really a series of, well, adventures I suppose over the course of twelve-year old Jane's summer. She and her mother and siblings live in a beach house - the mother being a somewhat noted poet - and 3 different, strange men show up over the course of the novel with the assumption that one or more of them is the father of one or more of the children. Jane throws bibles out of a hijacked hot air balloon, ends up having to babysit a bunch of wild children - one of whom Jane believes she dropped a bible on - comes across some colorful characters around town (including a "seer"), and believes that her not praying for one of the elder women in town may have caused the woman to become ill. Like I said, kind of random, but there are some interesting ideas going on here and I believe it has appeal - especially to those who enjoyed the Penderwick books and the like.]

STARTED:
Pearce, Philippa. (1958). Tom's midnight garden. New York: HarperCollins.

[Brian was trying to think of the name of this one, remembering the storyline as one of his childhood favorites, and finally found it. I thought I'd read it too, seeing as it seems to be regarded as a classic.]

*

No comments: