Saturday, June 23, 2007

FINISHED:



Niffenegger, Audrey (2003) The time traveler's wife. San Francisco: MacAdam/Cage.


[This adult novel had been on my radar for awhile. It took me a bit longer to read than I thought it would - I'm used to reading 2 or 3 YA/jF novels a week - but am impressed by how quickly I DID read it. Before I started this MLIS program, it would take me a month and a half to get through a book of this size, but, now that I'm getting in the habit of reading more, it only took me a week. Impressive. Anyway, the book itself was REALLY good. An intriguing premise that was well executed. Highlights for me included the fact that it takes place in Chicago, a lot of the action takes place in Chicago in the late '80s/early '90s - exactly the time that I was getting into going into Chicago and going to the North side for shows, music shops, and military surplus stores. Plus, the main character - the time traveler - is a librarian and has great taste in music. It gets a little mired in silly details here and there - WAY too many names dropped of specific Chicago restaurants, streets, El lines, concert venues, etc. I'm SO glad that you did your homework, Ms. Niffenegger, but you don't need to PROVE it to us so blatently. In addition, sometimes the focus shifted away from what I would've like to have heard about, but, that's my personal opinion. Despite the fact that I thought that the time traveler's wife was a bit of a spoiled rich girl who came off as a pretentious artist as well, all in all, I'm quite glad that I read it, it's going to stay in my brain for quite awhile, and I'm going to make Brian read it next. Oh, and I just saw that it is being make into a movie - so I'll definitely go see that.]

STARTED:

DuPrau, Jeanne (2003) The city of Ember. New York: Random House.

[Back to the jF...]

No comments: