Friday, July 16, 2010


FINISHED:
Sachar, Louis. (2010). The cardturner. New York: Delacorte/Random House.

[Hoping to be included in the will of a wealthy uncle, Alton's mom forces him to be the cardturner (cardplayer) for his blind "favorite uncle" who is an avid bridge player. Not my cup of tea. Funny, in the note from the author at the beginning, Sachar says that people told him, "Who would want to read a book about bridge?" Having read this one, I can understand where they are coming from. It just didn't grab me in any way, and all of the bridge-speak went right over my head. Without a rudimentary knowledge of trump-like card games your average kid would be lost and likely give up.]

STARTED:
Mull, Brandon. (2007). The candy shop war. Salt Lake City: Shadow Mountain.

[LOVED the Fablehaven series so much I thought I'd try out this one - which I remember seeing Mull comment on as being a fan favorite.]

*

No comments: