Wednesday, July 25, 2007



STARTED & FINISHED:

Rockwell, Thomas. (1973). How to eat fried worms. New York: T. Nelson.


[Wow. So not what I remember this book being as a kid. That said, I'd be interested to see what kids these days think of it. It's non-traditionally written - with super-short chapters, odd descriptions, and esoteric language and style choices. I found it especially remarkable when it mentioned, in a matter-of-fact way, how one kid's dad goes to the fridge to get a beer. Not one of my most favorite classics, but it has some charm and wit. Again, though, I'm not sure that the style or humor would still fly with kids today.]

WATCHED:

Boyter, Cal. (Producer), & Dolman, B. (Producer/Director). (2006). How to eat fried [Motion picture]. United States: New Line Home Video.


[I actually watched this before I started reading the book. As a future children's librarian, I will be called upon to assess the value of children's films as well as literature, so when I watch something that would appeal to the younger set, I'll try to talk about it here. So, yeah, the BASIC PREMISE - a kid on a bet to eat worms - is the same as the book, and the names were brought over, but that's pretty much it. On it's own, I was actually kind of charmed by this film. It had a style that was reminiscent of films for kids when we were young and had some fun with the way that it was told visually. I laughed more than I thought that I would, and a few of the kid actors were incredibly charismatic. Recommended.]


ABANDONED:

King, Stephen. (1987, 2003). The drawing of the three: The dark tower II. New York: Plume.

[I had forgotten how much I really don't like King's writing style. There's always a ton of unnecessary gore, and, worse, creepy weird sex stuff. Invariably, he lets us know when someone goes to jerk off or how someone was excited by the sight of death or something icky like that. Bizarre sexual behavior doesn't shock me, but I just don't feel like reading about someone's kinky habits - especially in a Stephen King book. I respect King because he's an outspoken devotee of LOST, but that's all I'm going to give him...]

*

No comments: