Thursday, November 15, 2007

3 Big Winners! (and an odd one)


STARTED & FINISHED:

Zolotow, Charlotte. (1962). Mr. Rabbit and the lovely present. New York: HarperCollins.


[FANTASTIC. The illustrations by Maurice Sendak, at first, freaked me out a bit, but the story is just so sweet and well told that I had to fall in love. It's a simple dialog between a girl and a rabbit that is so funny and, if you really try and read it with the characters in mind, quirky sweet. It'd make a great read-a-loud between two people. I'm not at all surprised that it was a Caldecott Honor Book winner.]



Say, Allen. (2004). Music for Alice. Boston: Walter Lorraine/Houghton Mifflin.


[I need to read more of his books. He's got the perfect combination of story, words and illustration. All pure poetry.]



Emberley, Ed. (1992). Go away, big green monster! New York: Little Brown/Time Warner.


[This man is an absolute genius. I'm not even going to attempt to describe this book because it needs to be experienced to be appreciated - it's brilliant in all its die-cutness.]



Valen, Herb. (1968). The boy who could enter paintings. Boston: Little Brown.


[Gives me that same feeling that I get from Winnie the Pooh: is Christopher Robin just an incredibly lonely and disturbed child who makes all these characters up to fill some awful void?]

*

No comments: