Friday, April 11, 2008



FINISHED:

Babbitt, Natalie. (1975). Tuck everlasting. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.


[Been thinking about the future and what it holds for me lately and writing keeps coming up as a possibility - that said, this one is pretty close to the kind of novel that I could see myself writing, especially odd since I just mentioned to someone the other day that I'd likely write in the "magical realism" genre. I love the fact that it's about the Tucks, who can live forever, but is told through Winnie's eyes (except for the Prologue and Epilogue...) and the fact that it is incredibly IMPRESSIONISTIC - meaning that the writing leaves the reader with a lot of room to write in details for themselves. I watched the movie (Disney, 2002) last night and really like it as well. A great adaptation that stayed really true to the themes of the book and actually, for me, expanded on certain themes. The bad thing about the movie is that it took away from the impressionistic sense of the text by filling in some details that the book left out, but is still one that I would show in conjunction with the reading of the book. The language is marvelous, and the interviews with Babbitt on the DVD and at the end of the paperback version that I read made me LOVE her and feel a real connection with her as an (aspiring?) writer and human being. Will definitely pick this one up again and explore her other works.]

STARTED:
Choldenko, Gennifer. (2004). Al Capone does my shirts. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons.

[I've had this one checked out to me for WAY too long - it's been on the list to read for awhile and it's time has finally come.]

*

No comments: