Sunday, August 31, 2008


FINISHED:

Scott, Michael. (2007). The alchemyst: The secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel. New York: Delacorte/Random House.


[A pair of twins are staying with relatives in San Francisco while their parents are on an archeological dig. The boy works in a bookshop that is invaded by a guy trying to get a hold of an ancient book, which, surprise surprise contains a prophesy about a couple of twins who will play a part in some major event. Heard so many great things about this one... I didn't find it all that compelling myself - in fact, to me it played out like an Anne Rice novel for the younger set. Just the exotic and bizarre creatures and their abodes, the beings who are immortal and some of whom have lived since the beginning of time, etc. It's set here (San Francisco), but there's a part that takes place on the Golden Gate Bridge that is so long that it would appear that the bridge is MILES long. Not one of the best that I've read recently and I doubt that I'll look into the sequels that are to follow.]

STARTED:
Jinks, Catherine. (2008). Genius squad. Orlando, FL: Harcourt.

[Reviewing for ACL...]

*

No comments: